Homemade Vegetable Soup
- 1 1b ground beef, turkey or chicken (optional)
- 1 small onion- diced
- 1 -12 oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 -28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 – cans of water from the crushed tomatoes can
- 1 -reg can of sliced white potatoes(undrained) ( 2 small peeled russet potatoes diced)
- 1 -reg can of cut green beans(undrained)
- 1 -reg can of sweet peas (undrained)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Brown ground beef (?) in skillet and drain. To large stock/soup pan add all ingredients. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 1 hour.
Homemade Southern Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable/canola oil
Place the oil in the cast iron skillet and place in oven. Turn oven on to preheat to 400 degrees.
Mix rest of all ingredients together with whisk or spoon.
When oven is done preheating, check your skillet to see if it is hot enough by taking it out of oven and sprinkle a few granules of cornmeal in it. If the cornmeal sizzles, then the pan is ready. If not, then you will need to turn on your stovetop on to get skillet hot enough. After oil and skillet is hot enough pour most of oil from skillet to cornbread mix (it should sizzle). Then add a small handful of cornmeal to pan. Mix oil into cornbread mix and add to hot skillet. Place in oven and cook for 20-25 minutes or until bread is golden brown.