Hi! Beauties! Today is Part 3 of My Gastric Bypass Series. I want to discuss with you a few things that if you are considering having the Gastric Bypass surgery that is going to become “Must Haves” for you. The above picture is just one type of a protein supplement that you would have to choose from. It is the one I used. Mostly because it was the cheapest and the most versatile in ways you could use it. It is a powder to make shakes or to add to puddings etc. I would like to explain why protein is so important to your body.
Why is protein so important anyway?
- Protein acts as building blocks for your body
- It makes up the greatest portion of your body (second to water)
- It helps your body build new cells and tissues
- It helps wounds heal
- It reduces our risk of infection
- It helps preserve your muscle tissue during injury, stress & illness
- Bariatric surgery is considered a stress to the body and therefore increases the need of protein to prevent muscle wasting that causes the body to need more energy.
- Hair loss is a sign of inadequate protein or iron intake
How much protein is enough?
- In general it is recommended to consume between 65-75 grams of protein per day
- Your dietitian will calculate your protein needs based on your ideal body weight. In my case, I needed to get at least 65 grams of protein per day.
Some examples of protein sources:
- Meat, fish, poultry
- Dried beans or peas
- Peanut butter
The protein supplements will mainly come in effect the 10 days prior to surgery and will continue after surgery until you can get your daily minimum 65 grams of protein without it.
The next ‘must haves” are vitamin and mineral supplements. Another thing to consider if you are considering to have the gastric bypass is : YOU WILL NEED TO TAKE VITAMINS AND MINERALS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! This is to prevent osteoporosis and other long-term chronic diseases associated with chronic vitamin and mineral deficiency. Daily supplements should be in a highly absorbable form. They recommend a liquid or chewable form. In the above picture are examples of a (OTC ) gummy mulivitamin and vitamin b-complex. I take the the following daily:
- Since I do choose to take OTC multivitamins like the ones above and since the vitamin B1-Thiamine found in them is critical, I have to take double what the label on them says to take. For example: the Vitafusion MultiVites says to take 2 daily, so I would need to chew 2 in the morning and 2 at night to get my recommended daily dosage.
- The same goes for the OTC gummy B-Complex, the directions says to take 1 daily so I chew 1 in the morning and 1 at night.
- Required is 3-500mg doses (seperated) of Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D supplement. It must be a Calcium Citrate, not a Calcium Carbonate. This is because calcium citrate does not require acidic environment to be absorbed. I am required to take 2 Citracal Calcium Citrate + D3 in morning, 2 in the afternon and 2 at night.
- Once a month, I am required to have a vitamin B12 injection of 1000 mcg (requires a doctors prescription). You can take sublingual tablets, liquid drops, mouth spray or a nasal gel/spray that you can get over the counter but the amount I would have to take it is just easier and cheaper to just have my husband give me an injection once a month.
I, again, like in each one of these articles of this series, want to make sure everyone understands that these articles are not meant to convince anyone to get the gastric bypass surgery nor are they meant to scare anyone away from getting the surgery. With this series I am just trying to let anyone who may read these articles and are considering this surgery for their weight loss journey, to have my experiences with the surgery as tools to learn from.
Thank you for visiting my blog today and reading this article. I hope you will subscribe to my blog if you haven’t already, it is free and you will be notified when any new articles are published on this blog. I love to read any comments, suggestions or feedback. Also please feel free to leave any questions you may have for me. I read and respond to all my comments and questions. As always you can also connect with me through any of my social media icons, I am just a click away!
P.S. My Facebook page needs some love!!! Please click here to like my page!